Thursday, August 25, 2011

It Finally Happened Mama!!

Hi everybody!

Sorry it has taken me so long to post a new blog, but I have been very busy. We who are long-time Giants fans know post-season frustrations. 1962- when Willie McCovey hit a line drive to the Yankees' Bobby Richardson that, if it was just hit a few inches higher, the Giants would have won the '62 series. 1971- when the Giants won game one over the Pittsburgh Pirates, then the Pirates win three straight to win the NLCS and go on to win the '71 World Series. 1978- The Giants were leading the National League West almost all season long until they were overtaken by the L.A. Dodgers. 1987- The Giants lose to the St. Louis Cardinals in the NLCS. 1989- The Giants get swept by the Oakland A's in the Earthquake Series. 1997- The Orange and Black lose to the eventual World Champs, the Florida Marlins. 2002- The Giants were just eight outs away from winning their first World Series since moving to San Francisco. The last time the Giants won a World Series was 1954 when they were in New York. I was in the Weather Center working on my Weather graphics for the newscast that night. For some reason to this day I don't know why, Manager Dusty Baker takes starter Russ Ortiz out of the game after giving up two consecutive singles  with a 5-0 lead! Baker gives Ortiz the game ball for some reason that nobody knows and brings in reliever Felix Rodriguez who gives up a three-run home run and a solo home run. The Giants go on to lose game six, 6-5 and go on to lose the series the next night. I went home and was talking to my mom about it and I looked at her and asked "Will the Giants ever win the World Series?". She looked at me and said, "They will someday.". The Giants go back to the post-season the following year to take on the Marlins in the NLDS and the Giants lose that series 3-1. Then the 2010 season starts and my wife who is a Dodgers fan looks at me and said "Your team is going all the way.". I looked at her and said, "You're jinxing it for us.". The  season for the Giants was going pretty well, I personally was doing fine until I received a phone call on the afternoon of June 25th that my mother had passed away in her sleep. I was devastated. I was numb for a long time and I just focused on my family, work and Giants baseball. The Giants won the Western Division on the last day of the season by beating the Padres. The Giants go on to defeat Atlanta and Philadelphia. I told my wife that when the Phillies Ryan Howard took strike three to end the game and the series that my mom was whispering in his ear, "Don't you swing at that!".The Giants were getting ready to face the Rangers in the World Series, my wife  put my mom's picture, the same one we used at her funeral by the television. My said she did that  so mom  and I could watch the games together. The Giants defeated the Texas Rangers in the World Series and I saw the final out at work that night and I ran out of the room crying. I went outside and looked up to the night sky and said "It finally happened, Mama!". They finally did it and I wished that she was alive to see it. I went home and hugged my wife and started to cry. She told me that she was so happy for me she cried. I always will feel that the Giants won that series for not only all of us fans, but for Sue Burns, my mom, Queen E. Hamilton and all of the Giants fans who were not alive to see it.  Thanks again for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment