Wednesday, August 10, 2011
How And Why Am I Still A Fan Of The S.F. Giants
Hi everybody, In my last post, I said I was going to explain how I continued to be a fan of the San Francisco Giants while living in Greenville Mississippi. Well, I tell you it has not been easy especially when your hometown team is not doing that well and teams like the Atlanta Braves, St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds are doing well. I admit, I rooted for the Braves in the early eighties when they had guys like Bob Horner, Chris Chambliss, Dale Murphy and Phil Niekro. My late maternal Grandfather was a huge baseball fan. He and I would watch the Atlanta Braves on television so I rooted for them except when they played the Giants. I remember the 1983 All Star game that Atlee Hammaker pitched in when he gave up a grand slam to Fred Lynn. I did not see it but I read about it while I was in Navy basic training at Great Lakes Illinois. I remember reading the paper, crumbling it up and cursing for a few minutes. As the years went by and technology improved, I was able to keep up with my beloved Giants. I did a television commercial for a local sporting goods store and I got to wear a Giants Starter jacket in the commercial. I was going to buy the jacket and the woman who co-owned the store told me I only had to pay half for it because I was in the commercial. I still have that jacket. I wanted to name my daughter Cheyenne if she was a boy, Clark Mitchell William. the three-four-and five hitters for the Giants in 1989. My first wife said no to that idea if she would have been a boy. In my next post, I will tell you how I was able to meet and talk to one of my boyhood favorite Giants while living here in Greenville Mississippi. Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment